Sunday, July 03, 2005

LIVE 8

I'm not sure what to think about LIVE 8. It's a great way to get the average Westerner concerned about the crushing poverty that a large part of the world experiences. But will more money help?

Over the last few decades, affluent governments have given billions of pounds, francs, dollars, rubles, livres, etc.--just to the African continent alone. But how much difference has it made? Often that money ends up lining the pockets of dictators and a small band of high-level officials. Instead of using foreign aid to help build national infrastructure, agriculture, education, health and economy, these "leaders" use the money to fund new stadiums, government ministry buildings and other projects. They award contracts to contractors, and then line their own pockets with kickbacks from the contractors. Meanwhile, their countrymen starve.

Does this mean that the affluent nations should stop helping the impoverished? Absolutely not. But they should find a way to build in some accountability to lending process. I know that the aid is usually contingent on long-term plans, but does anyone check to see the results of these plans? Is there any form of accounting for how the money is spent? I can't spend $15 at work without presenting a reciept. If I don't show receipts, I don't see any more money. Why isn't anyone applying this standard to foreign aid?

I haven't paid much attention to LIVE 8, other than to wonder about how the money raised will be spent? Will it go to international non-governmental organizations who tend to use funds more effectively? And if so, will the national governments undermine the work of these NGOs?

Here's a couple of links to the sources for this ramble:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/documentary_archive/4104164.stm
http://slate.com/id/2121864/

In my limited experience, it seems that the best way to help people is not give their government the money. Give it to the people, more directly. Build a hospital and train the people who live by it to be doctors and nurses. Take agricultural supplies and train the people who are starving. Build a school and teach teachers. The list goes on. I wish I knew how to fix these problems immediately. All I can say is that we can each do something. Sponsor a child so that they can attend school. GIve money to an NGO that builds and supports hospitals, schools or other needed facilities. Every time you feel yourself being overwhelmed by need, do something to help one person--and try to do it effectively. Governments are pretty terrible at that, but private organizations seem to do a better job.

Final note: If you think Christianity is part of the problem in Africa, I dare you to go to a church-sponsored hospital in a third-world country. Then go to a public hospital. The differences will be startling. I have been overwhelmed by the commitment and compassion of African Christians. It shames me, really.

No comments: