This past Sunday, my pastor talked about Moses and the burning bush. His message was definitely meant for me. I won't go into all the details, because that's not what this blog is about. The reason for mentioning it here is because the pastor pointed out that the Israelites, the people God chose to be His people, were in slavery for 350 years. And He allowed it, because He wanted to get their attention, to teach them to rely on Him, and to do something that only He would get credit for.
This may sound dumb, but my roommate and I came home and watched "The Prince of Egypt" (the animated story of Moses and how God freed the Israelites from the Egyptians) to give us more time to think about the pastor's message. As the movie rolled, I actually had a few original thoughts about a story I've known for years.
So much of the Bible deals with oppression and enslaved people. In several instances, it's God's people who are enslaved. When God spoke to Moses from the burning bush, He said that He heard the cries of His people, and now He was asking Moses, the murderer-fugitive, to rescue them.
So no matter how long it seems to be before He acts in these stories, He always acts and He always does something amazing.
It's not any different today.
2 comments:
Oppression brings out the best in us! Well, actually, first the BEAST...then, eventually, the best.
Yeah. There's been some BEAST around here lately, but I think I'm coming around to best. Slowly. And I'm hardly experiencing oppression. More just my own blindness.
Post a Comment