Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Letting Go of the Big Things

“I have held many things in my hands and I have lost them all. But whatever I have placed in God’s hands, that I still possess.”
—Martin Luther

“The taking up of the cross of Christ is no great action done once for all; it consists in the continual practice of small duties which are distasteful to us.”
—John Henry Newman

Funny how when we fail to learn these two lessons—or just forget them—God makes sure we get the point. As I try to be obedient and take action about slavery (as well as deal with other situations in my life) I want to be so careful not to do what seems right to me and miss God's greater plans. Also, I need to remember that God works through small, daily acts of obedience as much as He does through the big, showy steps we would rather take. ... Especially when we think people are watching.

God, help us to recognize how the small and unremarkable tasks of life—when combined with faithfulness, obedience and reliance on Your Spirit—can accomplish more than our boldest, loudest declarations.

My many thanks to the bloggers from whom I've borrowed these quotes! You've inspired me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good reminders! I think I've been looking for big things to do and perhaps forgetting about taking the smaller steps.

Jamie Willow said...

LOL your comments on my blog are cracking me up. I have just been reposting my myspace blogs (and maybe a couple other random ones that weren't from that blog) on this for a while now...kind of as a back up blog...I totally thought I'd already told you about it :) hehe...