Monday, September 17, 2007

Welcome to the Neighborhood!

There is a desperate hope brewing behind this blog. A hope that there will be new readers from among old friends. Many of you have known me for years and we've connected again on myspace. You know that I get worked up about things that aren't fair. I can't help it. Firstborns have an overdeveloped sense of right and wrong.

Over the past few months, God has been pointing me to pick up a cause of ultimate "unfairness."
Would you believe that 200 years after the abolition of slavery in the British Empire and the end of slavery in the United States some 60 years later, there are 27 million people enslaved?

It's true.

It makes me sick. It makes me sad. And it ticks me off.

With the help of other like-minded folks, I am getting involved in the movement against slavery. Like William Wilberforce, the man who worked to end slavery in the British Empire, I know that God defends the widows, the orphans and the defenseless--through His people.

I am one of them, and it's time to get moving.

Very soon, I will blog about some things I have seen with my own eyes. To get you started in the meantime, I strongly suggest reading, "Amazing Grace" a Wilberforce biography (or at least rent the movie) and "Not For Sale" by David Batstone. See notforsalecampaign.org for more. If you live near me, let me know if you're interested in doing something on a local level.

If this isn't your thing, that's fine. Check back once in awhile, as I'll probably post on other topics occasionally.

If this piqued your curiosity, thanks for reading! I will only post when I've come across something worth mentioning. Please drop me a line if you find anything worthy of note.

Much love,
Burkinator

(FYI: trying to keep my name and location somewhat anonymous, so don't be offended if I remove comments that give away too much. : ) )

2 comments:

Kevin Bales said...

Hi Burkinator,

Great post - let me add that this week I am publishing a new book that sets out a 25 year plan to end slavery once and for all. It is called Ending Slavery: How We Free Today's Slaves. YOu can see it and even a little four minute video about it at:
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11041.html.

Every day our workers are getting people out of slavery. To learn more about that, I hope you will visit us at: www.freetheslaves.net.
Warm wishes and thanks
Kevin Bales

Burkinator said...

Kevin,

Thanks for dropping by! I've seen your name quite a bit lately, and had confused it with another author's on a book title. This is what happens when I don't keep my sources near by. The error has been corrected, but I look forward to reading your book and adding you to my growing list of links.

Burkinator